B12 VITAMIN INJECTION
- Vitamin B12 is the most well known B vitamin and it is a water-soluble vitamin that exists in a couple forms, all contain the element cobalt.
- Vitamin B12 plays an important role red blood cell production, neurological formation and DNA synthesis. It also is important in converting homocysteine to methionine, which is required for the synthesis of one of our most important substrates for DNA, hormone, protein and lipid production pathways.
- When taken orally either in supplements or in food Vitamin B12, needs a protein that is secreted by stomach to be absorbed. This lack of protein is called Pernicious Anemia and can lead to abnormally large red blood cells, neurological and digestive track issues. This is a medical condition and is usually found on blood work and treated by your primary care doctor.
- Population at risk for developing a Vitamin b12 deficiency are:
- Bariatric surgery
- Long term use of acid blocking medication
- Advanced age
- Vitamin B12 is found in higher concentrations in meats, fish, eggs and other fortified foods.
Deficiency in any of the B vitamins can be caused by a lack of a balanced diet, medication (Especially Diabetic and Rheumatoid Arthritis medications), alcohol intake or genetic issues (MTHF gene). Schedule a office visit today for a B vitamin injection!